Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Champion’s Brew, a weekly piece designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I believe you will discover that the format that is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! If you like what’s there, I encourage you to subscribe at this link. Also, share with a friend who might enjoy it, too!!
Here is your weekly taste of what I have been reading and experimenting with:
- A quote: “We overestimate the event and underestimate the process” – John C Maxwell. For me, this quote can be attributed to so many different aspects of life. I have been co-facilitating a Book Study/Mastermind group on the book, Developing the Leader Within you 2.0 (affiliate link) and our discussion on this quote centered around leadership development. Too often, we see leadership development as an event (a webinar, a retreat, etc.), when really it is a process we must develop daily & weekly. I hope that this newsletter becomes part of your development!
- A book I finished recently: I just finished reading The 4:8 Principle (affiliate link) by Tom Newberry and it is a gem. I would easily place it in my top 5 personal development books that I have read. As the author says in the introduction, the book is about thinking differently…. in a way that maximizes your POTENTIAL for JOY. The book is full of pragmatic ideas and exercises to help you think in an uncommon way. I highly recommend this book. Here are a few takeaways I ‘Dog-eared’ for future reference or to share:
- When you focus on the good, you not only notice more good but you actually create more good.
- If a thought leads you to feel like a victim instead of a victor, it is not from God.
- Your mental image of yourself acts like a performance thermostat. You can walk over to the wall and change the thermostat anytime you want – if you are willing to do it!
- “Just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions.” – Matthew 7:20 – A verse showing that what you observe in your own life is merely a reflection of what is going on in your mental software.
- Emotions don’t reveal the quality of your life… they reveal the quality of your THINKING at any particular moment.
- Thinking, talking, and worrying about what you DON’T want will never bring you what you DO want!
- I encourage you to memorize Philippians 4:8 – “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think on these things.”
- A podcast I listened to: In the first 5 minutes of this podcast by Colin Cowherd, he describes the phenomenal, uncommon leadership of Tom Brady as he led the Buccaneers to the Super Bowl this year. Brady is now a 7-time Super Bowl Champion. Tom Brady continues to perform at a high level, even as he gets up there in age. When he switched teams, there was a question as to whether or not he would be as successful without his previous coach, Bill Bellichick. I think he quelled those concerns. It was fascinating how he was able to raise the level of his teammates to levels they had not performed, or, he GREW CHAMPIONS! He is an uncommon leader.
If you got this far, then you can go one more step and: