The Champion’s Brew is a weekly assembly of stuff I am reading, listening to, or watching that is designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I believe you will discover that the format is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! Become a member of the Champions Brew Nation by subscribing here!!
Here is your weekly drink of what I have been reading and experimenting with to help me to:
- Be Happy?: This video from Boston Scientific will probably bring many emotions. It is only a little over a minute. Watch until the end. Science and technology are amazing… and scary… and fascinating… and ____________. You tell me the right word you would use to describe this video. Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exercise daily: We already know that regular exercise helps us to look and feel better. Did you know that exercise also has a positive impact on your BRAIN function? Here is a piece titled “Brain Benefits From Exercise” from Dr. Gabe Mirkin that outlines the positive benefits for your brain from a regular exercise routine. He discusses in detail(including citing the research) the following benefits:
- Exercise Improves Brain Function in People with Early Dementia
- Exercise Improves Mental Function at All Ages
- Exercise May Help Fight Depression in Older Adults
- Quote : “In many cases, improvement is not about doing more things right, but about doing less things wrong. Don’t look for things to add. Look for things to eliminate.” – @JamesClear
I find James to be spot on with this quote. Too often, we go out looking for more things to do when we should really be looking at what we should NOT do, or de-select. In an effort to reduce the number of things clients are doing, I often suggest they consider the “5 D’s”:
- Can I Delegate this task? – Who can do it better than you?
- Can I Defer this task? – Does it REALLY have to be done now? Know the difference between urgent and important
- Can I De-select this task? – What would happen if you simply stopped doing it?
- Can I De-construct the task? How can I get more effective or efficient to reduce the time it takes for a task? Can I automate any of the activities using technology? I have been able to drop about 50% of the cycle time for this newsletter using automation tools like Mailchimp to help to distribute the Brew and post on social meida. Or, one of the most effective uses of De-construct… Does that meeting really need to be two hours? Can it be done in less time if I have a good purpose, agenda, start on time, etc.? Often times De-select comes back in to this as well. Why do I even HAVE the meeting?!
- Finally, if I can’t do any of the first 4, then… I must Do it! – Get it planned. Knock it out and move on to the next task.
What you need to do:
Call to Action: Where can you be effective this week at using the 5 D’s? How are you going to get back some of your valuable time so that you can do the things you love to do with people you love?!!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of Champions Brew. If you enjoyed it, I would appreciate it if you would share it with a friend who might enjoy it as well and ask them to subscribe! I will make sure they automatically get this email every week.
Also, the Uncommon Leader podcast is growing! Click HERE for a list of the episodes of interviews I have done with Uncommon leaders. It has been enjoyable for me and I know the guests will add value to you as well !
Until next time, go and Grow Champions!