I have really enjoyed the journey thus far with Champions Brew and we are just getting started. This is already the 6th release of the weekly pick-me-up designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. It is my hope that you have found these weekly nuggets to be useful. Let me know what you think by dropping me an email at [email protected] – Anything else you would like to hear about?
Fill your cup and enjoy! I have started adding some collagen to my first cup of brew each morning. Supposed to help me with my memory… we shall see!!
What you need to know:
- Uncommon Leader spotlight: Horst Schulze is the co-founder of the Ritz Carlton which started in 1983. The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC is an American multinational company that operates the luxury hotel chain known as The Ritz-Carlton. The company has 108 luxury hotels and resorts in 30 countries and territories with 29,158 rooms, in addition to 46 hotels with 8,755 rooms in the pipeline. The current company was founded in 1983, when the previous owners sold the Ritz-Carlton brand name and the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Boston, Massachusetts. The brand was subsequently expanded to other locations. The company is now a subsidiary of Marriott International. That’s quite a growth path in less than 40 years!
Horst started as a server’s assistant and rose to hospitality legend. This is a good read on the style that helped to make him successful.
My key takeaways from the article:
- Don’t just “Come to work”. Rather, “Come to be excellent.” – Do you need to remind yourself all the time? Write it on a sticky note or an index card and read it every day.
- No matter what I do, I get to define myself. I like to refer to this as “I am” statements. We have to have a positive mindset about who we are.
- Managers create processes, systems and measurements (which are important!), but Leaders create an environment where people want to do engage with the processes, systems and measurements!
- Horst is 82. He met one of his mentors when he was 14 and still has a picture of him that still hangs in his home. Photo opportunities with people you care about (and who care about you) are priceless.
- The first person to write about hospitality was Saint Benedict, when he wrote to his abbess(I had to look it up… an abbess is a woman who is the head of a community of nuns), “If a guest arrives, treat them as if it were Jesus himself.”
- Eat Healthy: Eating healthy doesn’t have to come with a high price! Check out this video from Thomas Delauer who goes into Dollar Tree and identifies some great buys on Keto friendly food. While I don’t necessarily follow a Keto diet, I do like to limit my carb intake and make sure I get enough protein (0.8g – 1g of protein for each pound of body weight seems to be a normal suggested amount). This guy is a good follow on Instagram or Twitter as well and his YouTube channel is full of good videos as he tracks into various stores to identify good deals.
Bonus Money-saving hack: 100 things to buy at Dollar Tree – They have some great finds that you can save a bunch of dollars!!
- Quote: “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” – Billie Jean King
What you need to do:
Call to Action: What is one way you can remind yourself this week that “You don’t just come to work (Common). You come to be EXCELLENT (Uncommon)”?
Subscribe: Did a friend forward this to you? Make sure you get your own copy each week. Please subscribe and I will make sure you automatically get this email every week.
Share: If you enjoy your weekly brew, I would appreciate it if you would share with your friends via email, or post it on social media!
Until next time, go and Grow Champions and be EXCELLENT!!