The Champion’s Brew is a weekly assembly of material I am reading, listening to, watching, or thinking about that is designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I often add my own little spin based on my takeaways and would love your input as well. Any of the points especially impact you? Drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org, or comment on the blog to keep the conversation going! I believe you will discover that the format is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! Become a member of the Champions Brew Nation by subscribing here!!
Here is your weekly drink of what I have been reading, listening to or watching to equip me to:
- Be confident– How is your self-confidence? For me, it can be a daily battle in my mind to stay self-confident. My mantra for 2022 was “No Limiting Beliefs”. By making that my mantra, it must mean that I had some internal limiting beliefs that had been holding me back. Maintaining a positive mindset is a discipline that I must practice every day. For my physical health, I must exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet. For my spiritual health, I must be in the Bible daily and for my mindset, I must exercise positive thoughts daily. I can procrastinate on that just as much as I can procrastinate on exercising or reading. I had a chance recently to get some feedback from a mentor who expressed to me, “John, I want you to have more belief in yourself”. I thought this was great feedback. Probably not accidentally, I have been reading or listening to some things this week that have helped me keep in a positive mindset:
- In a recent podcast with Mark Cole, CEO of the Maxwell Companies, he expressed this feedback he got from his mentor, John Maxwell: “You are the sum of your thoughts. Our thoughts show up in our behaviors and we don’t even know it.”
- Ed Mylett, author and podcaster says, “the toughest battles are the ones you fight between your ears.” He has a new book coming out soon and I have had a chance to preview the book. Chapter 1… about self-confidence! The majority of the chapter is a gem, but there was a quote that stuck out to me about self-confidence, “While optimism (self-confidence) may not make you successful, pessimism (self-sabotage) will ensure you don’t succeed.” – Shane Parrish, Farnham Street Media Founder
- Author John Mark Comer says this in The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry: “Comparison just eats away at our joy. Whatever your ‘thing’ is there will ALWAYS be someone who is better than you. Always. Stings doesn’t it (uhm, YESS!!!!!! I own that!)? What is it that makes it impossible for us to celebrate both those who are more gifted than we are AND our own best work?
- In two different podcasts, I heard of John Maxwell’s very first book, Think on These Things, in which the thesis is “A leader’s ability to achieve anything great for God begins in his heart or his MIND.”
These were all things I read or heard JUST THIS WEEK! So, I think I have some mind exercising to do. Philippians 4:8-9 speaks it so well, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Champions Brew readers, know this. You ARE valued. You ARE loved. You are UNIQUE. You are POWERFUL and you have work to do. What you think determines who we are. Who we are determines what we do. Stay confident and go out and BE UNCOMMON.
- Exercise Daily and Eat Well – One of the ways that I stay up on fitness and nutrition are following social media accounts of influencers in these spaces. You may want to check a couple of these out as good follows to help out with exercises and good meals:
- Quote – “A man is what he thinks about all day long.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
What you need to do:
Call to Action: Print this verse out and read it each day this week to help you to stay in a positive mindset: “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
I hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of Champions Brew. If you did, I would appreciate it if you would share it with a friend who might enjoy it as well and ask them to subscribe! I will make sure they automatically get this email every week.
Until next time, go and Grow Champions!
Are you a podcast fan? Maybe the Uncommon Leader podcast is for you. Are you interested in being a guest on the Uncommon Leader Podcast? Do you have a story to tell? Email me email@example.com and let’s have a chat and set something up!!