The Champion’s Brew is a weekly assembly of material I am reading, listening to, watching, or thinking about that is designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I often add my own little spin based on my takeaways and would love your input as well. Any of the points especially impact you? Drop me a note at [email protected], or comment on the blog to keep the conversation going! I believe you will discover that the format is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! Become a member of the Champions Brew Nation by subscribing here!!
Here is your weekly drink of what I have been reading, listening to or watching to equip me to:
- Love Always – The word that has shown up the most for me this week in my reading and listening is the word ‘Relationships’ – Any time I hear that word, I am transported back to a message my great friend and mentor, Stan Buck, preached at church one Sunday (April 23, 2006 to be exact) – “Life is Relationships…the rest is just details” – This phrase became the foundation of the first blog that I launched years ago. His message was based on the Bible verse Genesis 2:18a, “The Lord God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone’.” I believe this to be true. We need to be in relationship. That day he spoke of the need to be in relationship with God, others, and yourself. He stated two facts about relationships:
- Relationships are not an option
- The external problem in a relationship is rarely the problem
To me, relationships are opportunities for stories. Everybody has a story and if we are intentional, we can learn their story if we just ask. I was blessed this week to hear multiple stories from several individuals I have had the privilege of calling them ‘friend’ over the years. I am honored to be part of their story and their success. You know who you are!! Here are three simple questions you can ask someone to get to know someone even better
- What makes you laugh?
- What makes you cry?
- What do you dream about?
- Connect well– Sticking with the relationship theme, I listened to a podcast this week where John Maxwell spoke about four levels of relationships:
- Surface relationships – the most common and the foundation of relationships. There is a passive approach to the relationship
- Structured relationships – when a relationship is ready to go to another level, and it is usually because it has been structured to do so. Think parents who have kids in the same sport, or a book club that gets together monthly, or even your dentist!
- Secure relationships – This is when a structured relationship becomes healthy and enjoyable. You want to spend more time with a few of the parents, friendship can be tested and there is a comfort level that is established.
- Solid relationships – the highest level of relationships, long-term friendships are developed, complete TRUST exists and there is a natural desire to serve, sacrifice and give in these relationships
I sense that as the levels go up, the number of relationships you have in each level go down. That is not a bad thing. I believe that you will have relationships at all of these levels and your ability to connect/build the relationship begins with understanding the value of people. I also believe that there are relationships that will move up and down levels over time, depending on many variables. If you have the ability to connect, you will be more influential as a friend and leader and have a lasting impact. Building and growing secure and solid relationships takes energy. To do this, I must be intentional. I must step outside of my comfort zone at times and initiate. I must be willing to sacrifice. Are you?
- Quote – “There are people we enjoy being with simply because we enjoy being with them. What we DO together is not as important as who we ARE together.”
What you need to do:
Call to Action: Life is relationships… the rest is just details. Be intentional this week at building a relationship from one level to the next. Who is THE ONE person you need to ask one of the three questions above? You might just learn something about someone you never knew before.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of Champions Brew. If you did, I would appreciate it if you would share it with a friend who might enjoy it as well and ask them to subscribe! I will make sure they automatically get this email every week.
Until next time, go and Grow Champions!
Are you a podcast fan? Maybe the Uncommon Leader podcast is for you. Are you interested in being a guest on the Uncommon Leader Podcast? Do you have a story to tell? Email me [email protected] and let’s have a chat and set something up!!