Welcome back brew nation! It’s the “Friday Coffee Guy” coming to you with The Champion’s Brew, a weekly assembly of material I am reading, listening to, watching, or thinking about that is designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I often add my own little spin based on my takeaways and would love your input as well. Any of the points especially impact you? Drop me a note at email@example.com, or comment on the blog to keep the conversation going! I believe you will discover that the format is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! Become a member of the Champions Brew Nation by subscribing here!!
Here is your weekly sip of what I have been reading, listening to or watching to equip me to:
- Stay Strong – Playing off a blog post that was shared with me recently, there are many things that I “need to know” about being in shape after 40. I have learned some of these things the hard way, no doubt. Some of these are physical needs and some are mental. Here are a few that caught my attention:
- Mobility is a must – Oh yes. If there is one thing that I have learned in my 50’s, it is that I am not as flexible as I was in my 20’s. And, if I want to do ‘basic’ things in life into my 70’s or 80’s(like get in and out of the car, or get on and off the toilet without help!), I need to stay flexible today. I try to do 5-10 minutes of stretching daily. The article has some different routines
- You have (or should have!) wisdom on your side – Pay attention. If you know a particular exercise or activity that hurts, then you should probably reconsider that activity.
- To change your body, you have to change your life – We simply cannot eat the same stuff or drink the same as we did in our 20’s. If we do, our body will show it… and if we don’t? Our body will show it. To look different, you must live different.
- Get your bloodwork and hormones checked often – This is something I have not done but have been reading more about recently. Poor health may show up INSIDE your body if the OUTSIDE is not responding to your changes.
- Sweat daily – Make exercise, working out, or staying active part of your daily routine/standard work.
For more on these and some other ideas(actually, 12!), CLICK HERE to read the entire article from Travis Merritt.
- Think Positively –My ‘mantra’ for 2022 has been ‘no limiting beliefs’. Our brains (especially my brain!) are searching for safety and protection. We need a strategy against our natural tendency to play it save and look for ‘comfort’. In Jeff Henderson’s newly released book that I just finished titled What to Do Next, he talks about four (4) ‘thought converters’ to help us to overcome the natural tendency to fall back to comfort. Our thoughts drive our behaviors, thus if we want positive behaviors, we must think positive thoughts. So, here are some thought converters. How many of these have you found yourself on the negative side?
- “What if this doesn’t work?” – This question gives us a false sense of security. If I don’t try something, then I never have to experience what could go wrong. Convert this question to “What if is DOES work?”
- “What if my best days are behind me?” – It is easier, sometimes, to stay put than to re-invent ourselves. Daniel Harkavy, CEO of Building Champions, said it this way: “The older people get, the less risks they take. This is how we get old in our thinking…the opposite should be true. The older we get, the more risks we should take.” Convert this question to “What if my best days are still ahead?”
- “I don’t really know what I’m doing” – If we are lifelong learners, than this statement is going to be true. To learn is to ‘gain or acquire knowledge or skill’. We should be lifelong learners. Convert this thought to “I’m learning to do something I’ve never done before.”
- “This situation is unique to me” – Oh, this one is great. When something goes awry, there is a tendency to have a whoa is me attitude. If you go looking, you can probably find someone who has gone through this situation to help you get through it. Convert this thought to “There’s someone who has faced similar challenges. I need to seek them out.” As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another – Proverbs 27:17
- Quote – “ It won’t be easy. But, you didn’t sign up for easy. You signed up for worthwhile.” – Jeff Henderson – Whether you are trying to grow as a leader, start a lifelong journey to health, or start a new business, it will not be easy. Anything worth having will take work… effort… discipline…commitment… UNCOMMON commitment! Good luck. If you need help on this journey, let me know. I would love to work with you.
What you need to do:
Call to Action: What limiting belief do you have right now that is holding you back and you must convert that thought/belief into a positive? For me, I must always keep the mindset that my best days are ahead. I am not finished living out my purpose. I have more to add. You do, too!!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of Champions Brew. If you did, I would appreciate it if you would share it with someone who might enjoy it as well and ask them to subscribe! I will make sure they automatically get this email every week.
Until next time think positively, exercise daily and Grow Champions!
P.S. – Are you a podcast fan? Maybe the Uncommon Leader podcast is for you. Are you interested in being a guest on the Uncommon Leader Podcast? Do you have a story to tell? Email me firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s have a chat and set something up!!