Welcome back brew nation! It’s the “Friday Coffee Guy” coming to you with The Champion’s Brew, a weekly assembly of material I am reading, listening to, watching, or thinking about that is designed to equip and call you to uncommon leadership. I often add my own little spin based on my takeaways and would love your input as well. Any of the points especially impact you? Drop me a note at [email protected], or comment on the blog to keep the conversation going! I believe you will discover that the format is not only useful, but also that you can consume it within the time it takes you to enjoy your daily ‘brew’! Become a member of the Champions Brew Nation by subscribing here!!
Here is your weekly sip of what I have been reading, listening to or watching to equip me to:
- Eat Healthy – Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day – I am sure there are many of us who are ‘recovering’ from the opportunity to eat way more than we usually do. Thanksgiving is a day we give thanks for the many blessings we have AND a day to indulge on some of our favorites. Now, it is the ‘day after’ and we have plenty of leftovers to partake in today. How can we make sure not to let the Thanksgiving overload creep into 2 or 3 days? Here are a few tips that I try to use:
- Hydrate – Be sure to drink lots (I target 100 oz)of water the day after Thanksgiving eating to help you to re-hydrate and flush out your system from that food you are not used to!
- Don’t be afraid to throw away the leftovers – A human tendency is to save all the leftovers to enjoy the next day. This turns Thanksgiving Day into Thanksgiving weekend! If you have friends over, make sure they take enough for themselves and keep enough of the healthy items to enjoy a meal on day 2, but that’s it!
- Get back into the gym! – Most gyms are closed Thanksgiving Day, but are open regular hours on the day after! Get back into the gym, take it slowly, and get your steps in !
- Stretch – This should be daily anyway, but be sure to get in your mobility as well to help you to feel better
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up – Thanksgiving is one day a year that you get to enjoy some great food and family time.
- Be Happy – It’s ‘Black Friday’ – a crazy term derived from the concept that businesses operate at a financial loss, or are “in the red,” until the day after Thanksgiving, when massive sales finally allow them to turn a profit, or put them “in the black”. So, if you are going to partake in the commotion that is Black Friday, you might as well use it as an opportunity to grow! You probably have an opportunity to
- Exercise daily – If you do not work with a trainer, it is important that you have a ‘plan’ for your daily fitness. Making it up on your own can be difficult, time-consuming, and confusing. Jeremy Scott Fitness has been an online mentor of mine for the last few years. This year, he has come out with an app that helps to outline daily workouts you can do, as well as help with nutrition. It is a very reasonably priced at less than $100 per year. I am currently enrolled in the 30 for 30 challenge to end the year. Click here for a link to download the app.
- Stay strong – Get yourself or someone some fun fitness equipment to stay in shape:
- $ – The single most painful (but, a good pain!) fitness piece of equipment I used in 2022 – The Ab Roller – only $19.99 on Black Friday!!!
- $$ – Great set of dumbbells for your home gym – 55 lb adjustable set at Amazon – 67% off!!!
- $$$ – Theragun massage gun – Enhance muscle recovery, release stress and tension, and soothe discomfort with the smart percussive therapy device in a league of its own – My son is a trainer and he and his clients swear by it! Up to $150 off for Black Friday on their website
- Eat healthy – Athletic Greens has been my go to daily shake for a few years now. Buying a month supply for yourself or a friend could be a catalyst to improved health. Use this affiliate link and get a one year supply of Vitamin D and five (5) free travel packs with your first order!
- Read More – I have committed to reviewing one law per week from John Maxwell’s 25th anniversary edition of the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. In its 25 years, the book has sold over 4 million copies! I feel like I have purchased at least 100 of them over the years to gift. This week is Law #5:
The Law Of Addition
Leaders Add Value By Serving Others
Are you making things better for the people that follow you? Are you making things better for those that are around you that you influence? Are you making things better for your friends and family when you are with them? “The interaction between every leader and follower is a relationship, and all the relationships either ADD or SUBTRACT from a person’s life. When I think about the law of addition, I think about the mission of Growing Champions, which is to equip and inspire heart-led leaders to win at business AND life. It is my heartfelt desire that the Champions Brew is a tool that equips you to be more of an Uncommon leader, thus practicing the Law of Addition. AND, when you take what you read and apply it to your life as a leader, it turns the law of addition into multiplication. In essence Growing leaders who Grow leaders! So, if you get some value in reading this Brew each week, I encourage you to share it with others. Participate in the conversation by commenting on the blog and keep adding value to others!!
Quote – “You cannot help someone else get up a hill without getting closer to the top yourself.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
What You Need to Do:
Call to Action: So, are you adding value to your relationships or subtracting? What is one thing you can do this week to ADD value to someone that you interact with?
I hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of Champions Brew. If you did, I would appreciate it if you would share it with someone who might enjoy it as well and ask them to subscribe! I will make sure they automatically get this email every week.
Until next time eat healthy, be happy, read more and Grow Champions!
P.S. – Are you a podcast fan? Maybe the Uncommon Leader podcast is for you. Are you interested in being a guest on the Uncommon Leader Podcast? Do you have a story to tell? Email me [email protected] and let’s have a chat and set something up!!